Monday, November 4, 2013

Journaling Year Three

There are many things that I considered over the summer for how to improve my journaling system now that we are into year three.

HANDWRITTEN VS DIGITAL

The first thing I wrestled with over the summer was how I wanted my students to be writing. I had to decide whether I still wanted to keep to hand written composition notebook journals or if I wanted to go digital with them. I knew I'd have the Chromebooks in my classroom and wasn't sure if I wanted to move them digitally as well. It took nearly all summer for me to really decide. In the end, I still feel there is something very valuable about the process of physically writing. This is a hilarious notion since I'd much rather type than write but there are sometimes when I'm journaling or writing that I prefer handwriting. It's almost cathartic or hypnotic to put pen to paper. Additionally, I think if they were digital the temptation of Google Translate would be even greater than when they are writing "old school". So I asked my students to get a composition notebook. This differed because the previous year I'd let my students find any type of journal they wanted. Some had very pretty books or "diary" type books which I liked because it was personal to them. However the reality is that if they are uniform in shape and size, it's easier to transport them when I need to take them home. So I asked for composition notebooks only. However there are several students who purchased flashier composition notebooks with designs so they can still be personal.



JOURNAL TOPICS

The second major decision I had to make was what type of journal topics I wanted to provide. In year one, I tried to be a little more "prompty" and fun with such prompts as: Ojos Rojos (Red Eyes) but the students also had the choice to use my topic or choose their own. But then I noticed in reading year one journals that the kids were recycling all their old vocab and verbs and not trying to use their new vocab. I read too many essays about their favorite sport and best friend or dog. So halfway through year one, I made it a requirement that they use my topics and I tried to pick ones that centered around the vocab we were using to try and force them to use the vocab. Students were writing a journal entry for homework every class in year one.

In between year one and two, I decided to ditch my traditional "starter" system in which kids had a sheet with 8 boxes on the front and 8 on the back. Each day they'd come in and there would be a starter question to answer. I'd collect them each day and stamp them. It is a good idea in theory because I thought it would be a good check in for me as to what they were understanding but it ended up being busy work for them and for me. So year two, I decided they would have something to respond to in their journals at the start of each day. I tried to make these prompts more grammar driven or classwork driven and their prompts more creative.

However in year three with the Chromebooks, I try to have something digital for them to begin at the start of class so they are only journaling for homework. The prompts have been both creative and vocab related. I often point the students in one direction with grammar but not always. However I have been most impressed with the results I've gotten.

GRADING

The third decision I wrestle with every day is: how do I put a number on student work? I wrestle with this every day because it's hard to read entries that I know they really tried to do well and then have to stick a number on it as if their effort did not matter.

Year one grades were based solely on completion, which seemed unfair since some kids really tried and others did not. Year two, I tried to incorporate part completion, part reflection and part quality but that too was difficult to assess for a major grade.

At the start of this year when I began collecting entries, I wanted the feedback and dialogue between the students and I to be the main focus. So the first collection, I still had no idea how I wanted to grade so I didn't. I simply commented on entries and emailed the students their feedback. I also asked them to set a writing goal: something they wanted to work on. I told them that the goal could  not be grammar related because grammar was not a writing goal. Many students chose: organization or vocab or adding details.

But I still didn't feel right giving some students 100s simply for writing two sentences when others did much more. I started asking my English teacher friends how they assess journals. Based on those conversations and examples they willingly provided, I've start working out my own rubric that is relatively easy to assess and it has shortened my grading time. I do still desperately want to give feedback on every entry but I simply can't.I just am not able to do it if I want to sleep and plan and see my family. So I do read the entries, fill out my rubric and then send them a personalized email with my comments. In my comments, I can point out a specific entry I enjoyed or respond to their goal and how they are coming along. I like this system thus far, although I have changed the rubric already. But at least I have something I can manipulate for my needs and adjust accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment