Sunday, September 22, 2013

docto-what??

Doctopus. It's a strange word but a wonderful little program! or "Script" as it's termed in Google. It has allowed me to create student files wherein the students can respond to questions, write something, and then it automatically syncs with me so that I have permission to view it, leave comments and grade it. once I decide on my grades, Doctopus also allows me to email the students their grades with feedback that I write.


The major quandary that I have is actually grading it! It's crazy to not have much in my "to grade" folders but to know I have tons of stuff to read this weekend! However it's quicker! And very convenient. I think the kids really liked getting the email with feedback. I can also include correction information or other comments in the emails.


I figured that with all this going on, I needed to remember what assignments I hand back and the deadlines for corrections I provide. So I've started charts with those as well.


HOWEVER THE MOST COOL THING: was the sentence race the other day. The idea of it is that I have a story that I wrote in Spanish. I broke it up into 5 parts. I have my desks arranged in tables of 6, what I call tanks. Each tank received a shared file where they could type the story. It worked like a relay race where the group members took turns running to the envelope to remember as much of the story as they could. One person was the "official" typer but I found they were all watching the sentences be written and correcting punctuation and accents. After they had the entire story done, they had questions to answer. Everyone was engaged and as they finished, they were working on their corrections for another assignment. It was incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment