Friday, February 28, 2014

The Art of Presenting

Over the last two days, my students have been presenting their ideas from the environment project they've been doing that was described in this blog entry. As I sat watching their presentations, I was struck by how lightly most took the presentation portion of their project. I started to think about why. I wondered if it was because I did not stress the importance of doing a good job or because they didn't think I was serious when I told them they had to memorize their Spanish sentences.

Granted, this was the first time I have done this project with my students so I wasn't really sure what I was looking for or expecting. I admit that my directions were not clear nor specific. I did inform the students that they should each say two sentences in Spanish and as much English as they wanted. I directed them that they should tell what their idea for helping the environment was, where that idea came from and how it will help people.

Some students succinctly put together a short presentation that answered those questions and others used a PowerPoint and read every single one of their project sentences. The discrepancy in the quality of presentations bothered me as I sat there during very painful presentations. I was proud of the effort they put into their projects and the thinking that drove their ideas. However when I was watching the presentations very few made me proud or impressed me and that has me thinking.

Had I not given them the skills or parameters they needed to do an amazing job? Were they too exhausted by this project by the end of the two week work period? Had I not provided enough support or time in class for them to plan a presentation? Was it a combination of all these factors? Had I failed my own expectations of myself and my teaching?

I wonder if other subject area teachers find their students also struggle with presentations. Some students did a really great job. What skills or understanding do they have that the other groups lacked? I think to really get to the bottom of the issue, I need to decide what I want those presentations to be next year.

An ideal presentation would entail the students of the group each speaking equally and saying at least three Spanish sentences. These sentences must be well practiced and fluent, not stunted and choppy. It would not involve any "reading of slides" to the audience. The visual (PowerPoint, Prezi, Animoto etc) would enhance the presentation but not include all the words needed. It could bullet words from the presentation but not contain all the text. The presentation would answer these questions: What is your idea that will help the environment? How will it help? Why is it necessary to do? How can people help your cause?

These are the things I should have shared with my students prior to the presentation. This is the question I should have asked myself before assigning the presentation: What does an ideal presentation look like?

As a ten year teacher, I should have innately known to ask myself that question before assigning a presentation. I have taught myself a valuable lesson and will not forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment