Thursday, October 3, 2013

one of the best!

So there are probably many times when I've had this thought, but every time it occurs to me, it's like it's the first time: MY JOB ROCKS. I love my job. Today was probably one of the best days I've had this year, I think.


 It was really an ordinary day by all accounts. No student who normally gets 50s suddenly had an epiphany and now is a genius. No student who usually misbehaves finally purchased a halo. But every so often, a class just goes well or you have an interaction with a student that just makes you proud to be an educator. Today, I had a million of those moments.




 From reading journals all first block and see how creative some of my kids were when writing in regards to prompts like: a blue cat on my bed, or the sun and moon. I got all kinds of stories about the sun is jealous of the moon or how they are friends but sad they can never see each other to how Bob or Fluffy or Blueberry became a blue cat and why mom is mad that he's on my bed Some really great writing.


 When asked to choose a writing goal for the next collection of journals that was not grammar related most kids said they wanted to work on the detail of their entries or including some new vocabulary. I spent probably five minutes per student in a long arduous process of typing feedback on each entry, but how can I not? They worked so hard!!!


 In second and fourth blocks today I FINALLY got to start teaching a book- finally did what I've wanted to do for a few years: READ A BOOK WITH THE KIDS. And the kids groaned and moaned when I passed out the packets but I think by three pages in, they sort of seemed interested. They reported it really helped that I was really along with them and giving them a little interpretation. They said they could have figured out what the paragraph meant but then to really think about the characterization they might have needed help with. So I think they might actually enjoy this book. They also appreciated the fact that I was not going to force them to read out loud, as I detested that when I was in school. But they had their chromebooks out and jotting down information about the characters as we met them. I felt really good about it.


 I got a little information from a colleague about a particular student who I have. She had him last year and he is the brother of a student we both had. She said he came in to visit her the other day and seemed down. When she asked him what was going on, he said it wasn't easy following in his sister's footsteps- as she was legend in the school for being an amazing person, great student and over achiever. Thus far in class he hasn't seemed to want to connect with me much but last class I felt like I started making some inroads and today I continued that. Then he came up to me later at the game (more info on that) and made a point to say hello. He's a great kid but I can imagine how it must feel to have her floating above him in the school all the time.


 After school was the first meeting of Pens to Paper- a creative writing group that students asked me to help them get started as they needed a club advisor. I was a little worried because they said they'd bring snacks but I hadn't heard much else from them. When they walked in, they had an agenda and we had a great turn out- 13 people who all sat around in a circle, a few of my students who I am looking to make more connections with and a couple past students who I miss dearly. They had questions to discuss: why do we write? what do we write? what do you feel when you write? How often do you write? What do you want out of this group? Beautiful questions!


 Some of the answers shared: way to express myself, have too many thoughts, escape, not good with my words unless I’m writing, write when stuff happens, to process things, writing in the morning because of intense feelings from dream.


 The kids all expressed the desire to share writing and get feedback and help with things. They expressed interest in discussing aspects of writing: point of view issues etc... They got excited about the possibility of an open mic type event. I also suggested maybe down the road doing a writing retreat or something and they were also excited. I shared that I know I'm a "teacher" however I wanted to be a writer in this group and participate with them, that I would share writing as well. They seemed genuinely interested in that. It was said that we needed to get know each other better but that they wanted it to feel like a little family and that we all agree to respect the confidentiality of whatever is shared since writing is so personal. It was an AMAZING forty five minutes.


 Normally, your day would end at 3:10, however tonight was our Powder Puff game (juniors vs senior girls at a touch football game in honor of homecoming week) and since I work with Adopt a Family, we decided to try and sell concessions and make some money for charity. Instead of going home, I ran to the deli, got a sandwich and then returned to school to plan for tomorrow since I knew I'd be home late tonight. At 5:15, I was supposed to have kids show up to help get things set up and then sell items.


 All the kids who said they would show, actually did, which was surprising because a lot of times they don't. They did all the heavy lifting and then proceeded to take pizza, water and candy and walk around to sell it. They all gave 150% and helped us raise about $200 bucks!!! I also got to talk to them and so many other students who came over to say hello. I saw school spirit and students taking part in a wonderful event- cheering on their teams and then enjoying a big bonfire with them.


It is truly a gift, privilege and honor to do the work that I do. I am grateful for the hundreds of parents who allow their kids to become my kids every day, or OUR kids here at GHS. One of the best days ever! I hope every educator gets days like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment